Vintage tin succulents



Hello everyone, Happy New Year.

I'm kicking off the first post of 2017 with succulents.
These little plant babies are so trendy right now and are great fun for all.
However, they can be tricky little things to keep alive indoors so I'm going to share a few tips with you that will hopefully see you get the best from your succulents.



I'm actually planting up some of my succulents in a couple of vintage tins, but I do advise that for anyone first starting off to use a terracotta pot.

Succulents need three main things to survive-
Light
Good drainage
Water

Indoor succulents need a good deal of light, I like to grow mine in the conservatory but if you don't have that then as close to the window will do.

The next is great drainage.
I use a covering of grit in the bottom of a pot, ideally the pot should have a drainage hole too.
Then I like to use Levington desert, cactus and bonsai compost, then place a sprinkling of grit on top.

Watering is key.
You don't want to overwater your succulents, the soil should never be constantly damp or they will rot, but you don't want to under water them either.
I give mine a good soaking and let them drink it all up, then I keep checking the soil and do not water again until I think the soil is dry enough.



They make such attractive little displays at this time of year whilst we're waiting for spring to bloom.



For more information on growing succulents check out +Succulents and Sunshine
Their website is packed with tips!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Comments

Popular Posts